HOW BIG IS WAL-MART?
This should boggle your mind!! - Granted
And scare you as well! - Scare me? I should be frightened by Wal-Mart?
1. At Wal-Mart, Americans spend $36,000,000 every hour of every day.
This is Wal-Mart's fault? What - are the Wal-Mart greeters running out into the streets, dragging unsuspecting consumers into the store, loading up their shopping carts with merchandise, and forcing them through the check-out lines?
2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!
Uh, yeah...profit for the stockholders. Have you checked your 401K or other retirement investment portfolio lately? Chances are your retirement account feeds on the profits of Wal-Mart - along with the profits of Exxon, Goldman Sachs, Boeing, Pfizer, and many other retail, energy, financial, and defense giants.
3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.
For this they should be ashamed? See item #1.
4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.
For this Wal-Mart should be ashamed? See item #1.
5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private employer. And most can't speak English.
It's now 1.9 million. What is bad about being the largest private employer? "Most can't speak English" - not in my experience. Although I must say that there are plenty (PLENTY!) of customers who can't speak English.
6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the World.
Explain to me why we don't want a US company to be the largest in the world? We were proud of Ford, proud of Edison, proud of U.S. Steel, proud of F. W. Woolworth. Why can't we be proud of Wal-Mart?
7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did this In only 15 years.
Remarkable! (Not scary.) I wonder how they do that...send their greeters out into the street...? (See item #1.)
8. During this same period, 31 Supermarket chains sought bankruptcy (including Winn-Dixie).
This is Wal-Mart's fault? If Wal-Mart could sell for less, why couldn't Winn-Dixie?
9. Wal-Mart now sells m ore food than any other store in the world.
This is dangerous? Should Wal-Mart quit selling food so Winn-Dixie can thrive? Would you rather pay more at Winn-Dixie? If so, why didn't you? Then they wouldn't have gone bankrupt.
10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the
This involves a very simple concept called growth. It is based on success, which is in the hands of the consumer. When more shoppers shop at Wal-Mart, Wal-Mart's business grows.
11. This year, 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur at a Wal-Mart store. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 billion.)
What is the connection there? Maybe the 6.5 billion people on Earth shopped at Wal-Mart 1.0001 times per year?
12. 90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart.
That's because Wal-Mart is smart enough to locate their stores within 15 miles of their customers. Not exactly rocket science. Too bad our government is not smart enough to locate schools with 15 miles of the students they serve. Then maybe our 8 year olds would not be standing in the pre-dawn darkness waiting for the school bus.
Let Wal-Mart bail out Wall Street!
Be careful what you wish for. The bailout will be paid for with your children's taxes, and your grandchildren's taxes, and your great-grandchildren's taxes - money out of their pockets, money they won't have to spend at Wal-Mart buying food, clothing, housewares, cleaning supplies, toiletries, Mother's Day cards, Christmas decorations, cough syrup, bedding, dog food, camping equipment, and shoe strings.
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
How Big is Wal-Mart
HOW BIG IS WAL-MART?